Actress, model, and filmmaker Misty Simmons-Poteet

On this spandex and monster, we meet actress, model, and filmmaker Misty Simmons-Poteet.  I can vouch that she is a fantastic lady to work with on a film, and on a side note makes a supernova hot looking undead zombie as well...check out the proof below!

Misty as a zombie, J.Winnett Photography...James Cheetham Zombie edit

so without further ado, here is Misty Simmons-Poteet!


Misty, tell us about yourself, in a nutshell to the guy on the street what is it that you do.

I’m a mother, a low budget independent film actress, and a small town chick with film making aspirations.


You have been an actress in several films, what made you branch into film making?

I love acting in films and I still do small roles on occasion. But I wanted to make films because I felt like I had a lot of stories wafting around in the ole noggin and needed to get them out there. I’ve always had a lot of respect for indie film makers and what they do with little to no budget. And after several years of being in the background of the indie scene, I felt like it was time to make the transition.



What's the story behind in the pines?

In The Pines started out as a ghost story told to me by David Lee Poteet. The story was based on local folklore surrounding the area in which he lived. I was really impressed with the story because it wasn’t one I had heard before. Lots of places have their own local folklore but often it is very similar to the next town over…or even the next state over’s stories. This one was different and after David Lee passed, I felt it needed to be preserved.

I took the original story and adapted it into a short screenplay. I wanted to tell the original story in its entirety, but I didn’t feel like it could support a feature film. It stayed that way for a while until after some more thought; In the Pines became In the Pines (The Beginning). After the short is finished and I’ve entered it into film festivals I plan to film a feature that picks up in the current time based on the ghosts in the short film. Pieces of the short film will be included in the feature to act as the back-story.

https://www.facebook.com/InThePinesTheBeginning




Any bad or good experiences with filmmaking that you'd like to share?

There has been good and bad with every filmmaking experience I’ve had. As an actress or an extra I’ve seen some pretty crazy things on set or location. While working on the film Red River I ended up covered in a severe poison ivy rash. But I don’t regret the experience. It turned out to be a great film and the people I met while working on the film made it all worth it.


(the trailer for Red River...lots of gore and craziness...NSFW - Jerry)




On my way to film my scene as an extra in Old Habits Die Hard, I was running late to set because my car broke down. I was blocking traffic in the middle of downtown Nashville when two cops drive up and offered help. I told them my issue about getting to the set on time, and they gave me a ride in the back of their cop car to the location. When we pulled up the cops let me out and there stood Kane Hodder! He got a big kick out of it. Way to make an entrance!

(The trailer for Old Habits Die Hard)





Misty doing promo work for Troma films in TN

Another pretty wild experience was while working as an extra on the short film The Bear. The director Logan Myers was filming inside an old garage where a small town wrestling group put on their shows. He had rented the building for two days but unbeknownst to him the first night shooting he would have to share the space with the wrestlers putting on one of their shows. During filming the wrestlers got out of hand, picking on the cast and crew. Eventually a fight broke out and I ended up right in the middle of it. What would have been an amazing short film in its own right now became a documentary on the perils of independent film making.

http://vimeo.com/37345486

If someone wanted to know more about you, where would they go?

You can find me on the IMBb if you’d like to know more about the films I’ve done or will be working on.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3574987/

You can also find me on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/misty.simmonspoteet


muchas gracias Misty!


The Hobbin Stone Part 1 (more Ectovision madness)

Written as a segment for ectovision and after seeing the wonderful comedy Dorkness rising, the hobbin stone or stone of saint seth went through many phases which I guess mirrored the fate of ectovision as well.  Now that the smoke has cleared, the medieval segments will end up a trilogy of shorts, and this is the part one.  Misty had done some work on my friend Jacob Ennis's film Red River, and I knew her through the convention scene and she was professional and pretty down to earth so she was perfect for ectovision madness.

Misty showed up after a long road trip...did this film as the evil enchantress Venomix Morganna, and also was in my Harry Potter fan film, and did some work in Billy Boyd's steampunk movie all in one frantic day...I joked with Misty that she was like the energizer bunny...nothing could stop her!  Here are some stills from that day, and the trailer for the hobbin stone part 1.

Venomix Morganna with her evil warriors (Claude Miles and Todd Burrows)

unleashing magic!

the trailer for the hobbin stone part 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal film maker Chris DeJoseph, Friday nite frights, and sexy undead chicks rule!

Alan Moore, superheroes and the occult