Benjamin Wood, Brothers Barbarian....medieval in Kentucky

In this episode of Spandex and Monster..we go medieval in Louisville, Kentucky.  

Louisville, KY is most famously known as the home of the Kentucky Derby, but it is also location with many different films from many filmmakers of all walks and stripes.  In addition to the films Overtime, The Old Winter(A Kentucky-Made film), and the upcoming The Zombie Movie, there is a lively indie scene with films, webshows at all stages of development.  One of the most impressive webseries to come out of Kentucky other than Girl/Girl scene is the medieval themed webshow Brothers Barbarian.  I'll showcase that show, and one of the upcoming young actor in the louisville area, Benjamin Wood, who had acted in director Stephen Zimmer's film 'Swordbearer', Overtime, and 'The Tomb' with action hero icons Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

Medieval in Kentucky!







Here is Benjamin Wood, one of the upcoming actors in the Louisville indie cinema scene.


Benjamin Wood




Ben and Katie Stewart in 'Overtime' with Al Snow and John Wells

What brought you into acting?

 To me acting is part of life itself. Through out our existence we are growing and trying to find our way playing many different social roles along the way. I guess we're all kind of born with the ability. Pro wrestling was my first love, my uncle when I was 7 put it on one night and I was instantly facinated with the larger then life superheros in the ring. It became an obsession and at times a need to keep me going. It was not the brute action but the characters and show that I escaped into. I started late when I was 26. Was an amateur boxer in training when I found the wrestling school in 1998 11 yrs later I got close to my dreams on WWE Smackdown trying out for a contract. things went well that day only to suffer a career ending knee injury a week later. I was devastated. Took me a long time to come around but my love for performing has been a constant and it was a matter of time before I found a new path. Around the tryout I did my first film Ultimate Death Match 2. A fight movie with lots of stars I got to work with UFC and WWF legend Dan Severn on film which was amazing. That experience gave me a new itch and once I was back on my feet I needed to scratch it. What I did not know was how big a film community Louisville was. I started making connections and picking up small independent roles. Before I knew it I was working on several projects at a time. So I would say fate lead me to acting.

Al Snow, Sonny Burnette, and Benjamin Wood on 'Sword Bearer'

setting up a sword fight sequence on 'Sword Bearer'

getting ready to fight off zombies

You're part of the indie scene out of the Louisville, but you've done some high level work...which out the Louisville scene and more main stream work would you like to share.

Louisville has been great to me I have worked on over 30 local projects in the last 3 years including 2 plays which with my look I never thought possible . One heck of a good time. I have met so many talented people along the way. The sad thing is there just seems to be a short roof over every inspired persons heads here. The film scene will only advance you so far here. Very few home grown products out of here make it mainstream. I have a ton of drive and passion. I felt stagnant and needed more. so this past summer I started taking a shot at some extra work on feature films. Well blessed with a solid resume and a little talent I started getting bookings and hit the road onto some bigger opportunities. This past summer turned out amazing getting to work on the Tomb in New Orleans with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. We filmed at Nasa and I ended up having a featured role.

'The Tomb' with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Other noted films was This is the End by Seth Rogen an apocolyptic theme. The Internship with Vince Vaughn Owen Wilson that was a ton of fun. Aajind which is a masterpiece animated/live action film kind of like sin city but a Native American folklore story. These were all amazing experiences for me and my career. After I came home I got a call to work and was featured on 5 episodes of the new ABC hit TV show Nashville. All became so surreal. Not to mention one of our local films Overtime that I had a small role in was picked up for major distribution. Heading into 2013 I am on a role.

The screening of Overtime with the cast and director



You've also been in the world of wrestling, did you bring any lessons from that world into acting?

I owe all my acting success to the world of wrestling. Years of live stunt performances mixed in with TV and some radio work prepared me for the camera. I miss wrestling a lot but do not miss the pain and suffering my body went through. Acting comes from a different place it is just as emotional and some times physical as wrestling but the root is a much deeper place. To identify with a role a nail it to see it back and be like wow that was me. I would not rather do anything else in the world but this. I have high expectations for myself and just do not see ever giving up. I think we can all accomplish our dreams. I hope to make it as a success in the industry and help as many others as I can along the way.

Wrestling action


If people wanted to know about you, where would they go?

you can find me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/benjaminjasonwood
Imdb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3785597/
or personal website http://benjaminwood.weebly.com/




muchas gracias Benjamin Wood!

Brothers Barbarian

Ken Whitman and Tim Gooch are 'Brothers Barbarian'

A funny webshow set in medieval times is currently working on its second season in and about the Louisville, KY area.  Anchored by an interesting concept (two young warriors are turned into middle aged men by an evil witch and they now seek her out for revenge...'Middle aged in Middle Earth'...which is a brilliant slogan for the webshow).

Larry Elmore with the brothers barbarian

The show also is of note for recently featuring artist Larry Elmore, which as many fans of spandex and monster would know as a famous artist for both early versions of Dungeons and Dragons and gaming magazines such as Dragon.
scene from season one episode 'The Party'

wizard
Orcs in the woods


Adventure and comedy in a Tolkienseque world served up by Tim Gooch and Ken Whitman .

behind the scenes


For more information, click here
http://www.facebook.com/BrothersBarbarian
or
http://www.brothersbarbarian.com/



I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the world famous Fright Night Film Festival / Fandom Fest which is a yearly tradition in Louisville, Kentucky.
Ken Daniels, Stephen Zimmer and the fright night crew are barn storming for another year of high profile sci fi, fantasy, and horror icons along with gaming and indie cinema...check it out!


The Hobbinstone
An offshoot of 'Ectovision', I've been working on a comedic connection of medieval films and roleplaying games of my youth. There will be three parts to the final film.  This is the first part with actress Misty Simmons Poteet as an evil witch, Steven Guynn as Guyfax the wizard, Cherokee Hall as Kevin Knight, and more in this crazy fun film.  I guess I let my tolkien flag fly by saying it was made by 'J.R.R. Williams'...check it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal film maker Chris DeJoseph, Friday nite frights, and sexy undead chicks rule!

Shane Ryan's Dacryphilia and Hematolagnia