Gory martians don't wear plaid

In the eighties, Carl Reiner cleverly spliced Steve Martin into public domain footage of poverty row quickies to make the comedy, Dead men don't wear plaid.  I've been thinking about that and the old VHS slasher quickies like Hellroller, Mummy in the basement, etc.  Essentially, it was the explosion of the 60's cinema done in VHS format.  Were there terrible movies?  Sure, but finding the diamond in the rough was a part of the charm, and a reason why VHS and shot on video horror films still retain a charm despite the ketchup blood and the stripper moonlighting as an actress kind of thing.

My favorite director from that time period is Tim Ritter, and the film that definitely got me into that genre of film was 1995 Creep...when I moved to Lexington Ky...the only spot that dealt with offbeat films had it...it had a surreal cover and of course I rented it many times...it was a weird horror movie in a cartoony universe with Joel D. Wynkoopoop as the eerie Angus.  I, was of course, hooked and into this film and more.



Fast foward several years later, and by luck and fate I got to know Tim and got a small part in Truth or Dare IV.  It was a great experience for me, and loved the screening of the film at the histroic Kentucky theater.  I won't bore folks with some of the headaches I've had making indie films...let's just say, if I ever wanted to pursue that career in personality disorders therapy..a lot of the actors and crazy gearheads I've met over the years would give me a heads up.  Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great folks on both sides of the camera...the unstable folks are just the pepper in that soup sometimes.  Getting back to the screening, it was a fun blast of crazy gory fun...and something I'm thinking about in my next project.  Nothing is set in stone with indie films...even after the shoots and edits, but I have a good idea where I want to go..

It will involve aliens, burlesque images, creeps, and doctors from alternative universes...I have some test pix I recently did and will share it with everyone...mostly the thing is to make a fun film on all sides...thought I'd share the work in progress with folks.

burlesque from mars

other dimensional creatures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal film maker Chris DeJoseph, Friday nite frights, and sexy undead chicks rule!

Alan Moore, superheroes and the occult