Filmmaker Bill Zebub's offbeat films

Filmmaker Bill Zebub

In this episode of Spandex and Monster, we meet maverick filmmaker Bill Zebub.  His films are bizarre, funny, definitely raunchy non PC humor(sex,crude humor, and shaking a few religious icons), and infused with the love of metal music on all of his film output.  

Dollamorte


Bill's films like real metal music is rough, in your face, non compromising at all...if you're easily offended you may want to pass this go around, but if you are easily offended you are also the person Bill wants to get worked up with his work and films.


Here is filmmaker Bill Zebub!

Filmmaker Bill Zebub
 
Describe yourself, and what your films are to the guy on the street.

I am a guy who makes movies that most people hate. Seriously. The most popular rating is 1-out-of-10. The reason why I don't take that seriously is because the second most popular rating is 10-out-ot-10.


Ass Monster, the making of a horror movie




What goes into the conception of a film...the idea, a possible location, or a theme you want to explore and how does that get into the final film?

A lot of my movies have been experiments. That's why some of them go out of print. There's really no particular way that a movie develops. Ideas come to me spontaneously. I don't intentionally sit down and decide to write a story. You asked about location, which is somewhat important. If I want the movie to be a bit more on the realistic side, I can't write a scene for an underwater city. But if I am having fun with a movie, I can make a scene inside a uterus. As for the final phase of actually getting it done, I fund my own movies so I make all of the production decisions. This has enabled me to blast out as many as nine movies a year.

Dirtbags

You're known for controversial themes in films, are there things you might say 'yeaah, I better not go there..'

I will never have scenes of child molestation, unless it's the baby Jesus. You have to wonder why Joseph got cuckolded into a marriage with an eternal virgin. Legends of her still painted her as a virgin forever, so the only outlet for sex was baby Jesus. Maybe Joseph planned the man-boy sex from the beginning. Maybe that's what Jesus meant when he said, "Do this in remembrance of me." He meant, "do this gay sex with your foster father." And of course, priests HAVE been doing that in remembrance of him...

What are the challenges facing an indie filmmaker today?

I don't know how other movie-makers feel, but I am personally worried about the form that my movies will take. My movies are on DVD. Maybe early next year I will have a Bluray or two. But it seems that the trend is moving toward on-demand. I don't actually understand that because I need to own movies. I also watch movies multiple times. Like, I watch Amadeus once a year. I guess that most people just don't feel a need to watch something more than once, so they are fine with renting. Video-on-demand has been taking off for me. There are some months when my royalties are surprising. But as far as obstacles, it's really the retailers, or specifically, the people who approve or deny a titles for the store or V.O.D. My movie "Zombiechrist" has been rejected by most stores, purely on the name of the movie. The front cover is actually the most tame of all my movies. There's no T&A. Luckily, there are some vendors who aren't afraid of superstitious customers. That's why independently-owned shops are cool.


Night of the pumpkin



What link is there between metal music(concept, music, mind set), and your films as an influence?

My primary reason to have metal soundtracks is to turn people on to music that they may not normally be exposed to. It's also a big "fuck you" to rap. I don't need to go into why I hate it. If you hate metal, you have to deal with it if you watch my movies, the same way as when I have to deal with imbecilic rap lyrics and the stupid way that they are delivered. If you had zapped me from the past and transported me to this time, and played a rap song to me, I would laugh and then apologize for mocking the attempts of a retard to make music. Getting back to the metal, i have to make a disclaimer that Motley Crue and other gay bands like that are NOT metal. The only time that a metal song should have the word "baby" in it is when it's about killing a baby.

Pagan Metal: A documentary





If people wanted to know more about your films, where would they go?


Assuming that i didn't look like a total asshole, people are invited to go to
www.billzebub.com


Official site of Bill Zebub Productions, listing information about movies and other related subjects.
 
 muchas gracias Bill Zebub!
 
I also met Bill briefly at the last fright night / fandom festival out of louisville, KY.  He was kind enough to do a fun promo for me.  Enjoy!
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal film maker Chris DeJoseph, Friday nite frights, and sexy undead chicks rule!

Alan Moore, superheroes and the occult